Saturday, June 2, 2012

Garden of Gethsemene


This is on our way to the Garden of Gethsemene... through the Orson Hyde Memorial Garden... the Church pays to keep up this garden to commemorate the time Orson Hyde came to dedicate the Holy Land for the return of the Jews.

Saturday we went to the Garden of Gethsemene. The first time I went I was a little disappointed... mostly because I pictured it to be much much larger. I have found out since then that there is a much larger garden across the street that the gardeners will let us go in to... especially if we call ahead. I plan on doing that.



Today we just went and sat for a long time. I wrote in my journal and looked into the grove of the trees. It was a hot day, but we were in the shade and I was wearing my big floppy hat... it was a good way to pass the time on a fast sunday. I was able to reflect on all the good experiences I am having here in Jerusalem. This is a sacred place for so many reasons. ... but this is a sacred place for me, this is sacred ground because I am learning many important and crucial things about my Savior. ... about how to trust him, that's always been harder for me. I wish I had a crystal ball, always have wanted that. I don't like that bad things can happen, even to good people. I don't like not knowing what will happen to me and my family in the future. But I am learning that the Lord does not forsake His people and He always keeps His covenants. ... I still don't really know what that means for me, but I find comfort and peace when I pray and ask for it. That's enough for now.

After writing all that in my journal, we went inside and sang a couple hymns. I LOVE singing in The Church of All Nations. It is beautiful inside and the sound just resonates in the high, domed ceilings. beautiful.

The mosaic on the outside is beautiful.

Also, I bore my testimony in church today- I talked about what I just told you I wrote in my journal... and about how I used to be scared of the God of the Old Testament. I am so grateful to be able to learn so much about it while I have been here. My professor, Brother Harper, does an AmAzing job of showing us that the Old Testament is about how God keeps His Promises, He will covenant with anyone who wants to be a part of His fold. I am loving it.

I am so happy I chose to come to Jerusalem. I feel blessed to be able to live in this sacred place.

No comments: