Sunday, May 25, 2008

Snowboarding

I LOVE love LoVE SnowBoaRding!! I took two snowboarding classes at BYU this year and I was hooked.

I got a season pass to Sundance Ski Resort, it was the best decision I could have made. Many people say Sundance isn't ideal for boarding compared to other parks like Brighton and Snowbird or Park City. But those parks are SO far away!! Sundance was only 20 minutes from my house. Plus, Sundance had an amazing winter! There was AlWaYs fresh powder. We were boarding on powder in late April. AweSoMe! I went Snowboarding 2-3 times a week EVERY week winter semester. I would go up after classes around 1 til the park closed at 4... or head up early at 9 and be home by 12 for my afternoon classes. Some days I would go ALL day. I loved it! I would leave my stuff in the basement. Even if I knew I would only get in a few runs that day, I'd grab my boots, gloves, helmet and board and go!

I am hooked. There is nothing like riding the lift up to the top of the mountain, it's so quiet and serene! Participating in the sport, you get to experience the mountain country and see nature that is hidden from others. I loved seeing the mountains blanketed in white, seeing deer and birds and squirrels and other animals. It was something I had never experienced before. Plus, I thought I would be too cold. After about four weeks of freezing because I spent much of my time on the ground listening to instructors and falling, I GOT IT! It was like riding a bike. The movements felt so natural. I was so proud of myself! haha I never fell and I was an expert carver! Yeah!

Many times I would go up with Zane, my roommate Michelle's fiance and his roommate Caleb. Or I would go with Clinton. I loved going with the boys because they would push me to be better, try runs I normally wouldn't on my own, and test out the jumps. I would be their camera girl. At first they were shocked that I was staying up with them, so was I. But we all loved eachother's company. It's something about strapping that board on! I feel invincible.

Also, I went a lot ALONE. I loved it. It was my time to escape. I would usually see people I knew, but I didn't feel obligated to stay with them. It was a great release for me. I will never do a winter semester at BYU without a season pass to go boarding. I would wake up giddy when there was snow, while everyone else was cursing it because they were DONE with winter. I would go MWF and occasionally Tuesday afternoons! so fun. It is my new favorite thing to do! and right now in the AZ sun I sure am longing for a trip to the mountain!!! :)
















Just a little disclaimer on the videos. Kiara took these in Park City. She was hopeless. These videos are proof that miracles do really happen, I thought she'd never catch me on film!! SO whatever, they're the only ones I have so they'll have to do. At least you can see I carve. It gets much better than this. I promise!! ps I loved my lime green pants!! ps this was April 11th!


No comments: