Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Life in the sticks . . .

Let's see what happened this past week....

[jUnE '08]

Hello ALL...

I didn't write yesterday because it was Memorial Day and the Library was CLOSED... but we had a great day. I wrote letters, went to a picnic/BBQ at the church, visited B&S Caldwell at their home and then had FHE. IT was nothing short of a good day.

the LILACS are blooming and are EVERYWHERE... I have seen lots of deer and a couple porcupine and bunnies and I am still AmAzed every time ...

Someone somewhere started a rumor that I didn't want to come to Adams... well let it be known: I LOVE IT HERE. It really is the land of converts, come to think of it I don't know one person in the ward yet, minus the Fosters [whom we live with] that grew up with the gospel. EVERYONE is a convert. It's AmAzing. I love to hear their conversion stories.

I am loving my companions. They are so great. I get less sleep than I ever have on a mission because we stay up talking!!!!

Let's see what happened this past week....

[*] we did a lot of planning for this coming transfer. LOTS. We set goals... they are high... I KNOW we can achieve them.. we have to work hard. every time I would say a number the sisters would just laugh and say "OK!" haha I KNOW we can DO it!

[*] Wednesday was Zone Conference with just our zone.. the WAUSAU zone. only 2 districts in our zone. It was SO good though. WE learned how to teach lessons in the church building, how to make people feel comfortable at church and about coming and how to teach more interactively. I learned a lot. THere were lots of new faces and I got to meet a whole new crowd. Elders Oldham, Jolley and Tryon came and did training too. It was a relief to see their familiar faces.

... after zone conference I had my interview with president barrett. I was able to tell him a lot of my concerns with this area. I told him how I felt like the sisters here were just glorified visiting teachers... i don't do that. I LOVE missionary work. Being with people. Teaching LEssOns. He didn't know a lot of what was going on here. After he interviewed all 3 of us we had a little "huddle" as he called it and he just layed down the law. It was SO good. because he had to be the one to say it. I am just the new girl here. THese other two sisters know this area way better than i do. ALl i knew is I was sick of hearing "the work is just different here". NO! Missionary work doesn't have to be slow!!!! s. roth said she thought, [mind you she has only been out 6 weeks, she is a greeny, this is her 1st area] "I guys only boys get to do real missionary work." AHH! President told us to press the "restart" button here. He said that's why I am here. ugh- it's kinda stressful. There is SO much to do. We had to drop a lot of pointless services we were doing and break a lot of old habits. but we are already seeing the fruits of that. WE HAD 8 new investigators this past week AmAZINg. That didn't even happen to us in green bay. HARD WORK = BLESSINGS FROM THE LORD. I know the work can be just as fast here as it was in green bay... president calls it the "green bay fire"! haha WELL it's been LIT!

[*] we had dinner at the jacksons. They live in necedah. i love them. later we went to autumn jaquith's country music concert at the high school. good times. she has an AmAzing voice.

[*] We taught our investigators Debbie and Jody and Christian. We visited Ward members Sisters Snitchler and VanMater, Brother Schnonasky. WE met a new woman Deborah, who is now an investigator. We went to the High School Graduation [i thought of rocky the whole time].

[*] We had dinner at the Barrett's and sister barrett is just AmAzing. Makes me want to be the best missionary ever after the way she talked about the missionaries that baptized her husband. SHe loves them. THey helped her to be a part of an eternal family. That is WHY i am in wisconsin. She reminded me.

What a week... We are working SO hard here and definitely seeing the fruits of our labors. THe Lord is blessing this area tremendously as we do what he asks of us.

I thought of my family this week. I have been informed that this was the week of ROCKY. He FINALLY had his eagle court of honor (he's had his eagle for at least 2 years) He graduated from SEMINARY and from HIGH SCHOOL. my LITTLE brother is not so LITTLE anymore!!! Congrats Rocky! I love and miss you! [ps you look DANG good in your senior pics. I love them all]

I thought of my little chloe who on mother's day asked me, "Do you want to come over? Come to my house and give me hugs and kisses!" RIP my HEART out!!! I love that little girl! I love my little sophie too.

I also missed green bay a bit. I thought of how on my last sunday there the members had like 5 referrals for us. AmAzing. Such good people. Vanessa has a baptismal date!!! did i mention that! SO EXCITING.

I was thinking about the six months i spent in green bay. Sometimes in life you meet people that make you raise your standards, your expectations of life. Forever. They raise you to higher ground. You are never the same afterward. I met a few in green bay! Whether they were missionaries I served with or People I associated with green bay was good for me. It prepared me to love adams! I miss gb. I miss serving around other missionaries. but I know the lord has a plan for each of us and there is a reason I am here- I don't know what it is yet... but I am sure I will soon find out. And I know I will continue to meet people that will leave indellible marks on my heart. [wow i am so deep this week... wierd]

Thanks for My birthday Presents I got this week! I LOVED them!

I love you all!!!!! the church is true.

Love, sister pamella jo black

ps I have picked up what I call "missionary lingo" I frequently say...

...WAY... FOR DAYS... CAN IT... SWEET... AmAzing... and many others..

No comments: