Monday, May 18, 2009

I am actually surprised at myself


[October '08]

Hello Hello Family! How are you? Well... the rumor was true. I am in Adams-Friendship. Shut the state down. I know. I NEVER thought I would come to this place... but I love it already. Also, I am in a three-some. Yes, three sisters, living in the upstairs bedroom of a members home. Oh, it gets better, tomorrow I will probably ride a bike. Yes, all things that I said I NEVER wanted to do or be a part of on my mission.
Never say NEVER.

I am actually surprised at myself though... I like it here. a lot. It reminds me of thatcher, only just a little more backwoods! I really made it a point that I would not compare and that I would not have an awkward transition to my next area. well... I think that was just the trick. I got to speak in sacrament yesterday and meet the ward. I am way excited to get to work here. AND I love my companions... they are SO great. We are already such good friends. It's so fun, like having roommates. I never knew I would love a three-some this much! It's great!!!!!

This has been a great week...

In green bay I got to spend one whole day on the UWGB campus teaching. We just sat in the corner of the coffee shop and the students came to us, THEY CAME TO US!!!! 5 appointments in a row. It was truly amazing. AmAzing! When I got to GB we didn't have any investigators on campus. I loved it, it was the best going away gift ever! They are all going home for the summer, but have already been in contact with the missionaries where they live. I can't wait to hear of their progress!!!

I also had the opportunity to visit many people and to say "goodbye". It was draining. I gave up towards the end. I know I will see all those people again- no need to say bye. Adam Kreihbl told me a few weeks ago that I was going to end up in Adams in a 3some because I said I don't want to... and I am.. I told him it is HIS fault!!! haha Bro Cozzens said Adams is the Houghton of the Wausau stake. [houghton is in the UP] man. sometimes i do feel like we are in exile... there is only the 3 of us for miles and miles ... our area is HUGE. But we have a lot of fun here... and the Fosters, whom we live with, take really good care of us.

[Monday] was my last Pday in GB and we spent it at Bay Beach Park playing games with the elders and trying not to kick the soccer ball gma sent me into the green bay. good times. GB is SO beautiful and green. I will miss those elders, I became such good friends with them, there are so many of them that I will be friends with well after the mission. They are such great examples to me and are SO knowledgable! Bishop Huzzey made me CRY that night... he offered the sweetest prayer and expressed his gratitude for the service oldham and I rendered in GB. I don't know anyone with more of a capacity to love than that man. He's amazing. We signed his journal, it was bittersweet. I never wanted to sign that thing, i knew it meant I was leaving!!! AND we had one last eating contest.

[Tuesday] we had district meeting and we sang "I'll go where you Want Me to Go" as the opening song. I remember singing that at my farewell as I left my PHX home it was almost HARDER singing it at district meeting knowing I was going to have to leave my GB home!!!! We had district lunch and then went to Sister Bartell's to do service in her garden for her. I ended up stacking a HUGE woodpile! it was AmAzing! Elder Oldham would bring me the wood and I would stack it. It wasn't too shabby of a pile for my first time! It got so big he suggested I do two rows, so i did. Then When it was all done sister bartell came out and said, "Aww I have to get back there, can you moved that pile up two feet?" She said it so SERIOUSLY... so I said "YA. Sure!" Ha she was JOKING!!!! hilarious. We went to the elkins that night with the elders. SO FUN! I played basketball with elder crane, sister bryner, spencer elkins and his sister Kaley while Oldham and Jacob ran around with toy guns playing Star Wars. It was a good time but spencer tackled me during the game and I definitely skinned my knee, blood everywhere. It's been a long time since I've done that. note to self: don't play bball in a skirt and flats. Later that night we had a nerf gun war... i won! Me vs spencer, jacob and oldham = no competition! Sister elkins was so sweet and told me that she has seen me change since I have been in green bay. so cute. I think i have changed too.... I love the elkins, what a great family.

[Wednesday] was my last full day here!!!!! I had lunch with Paul and Lisa Robertson and their girls at Paul's school. I LOVE the ROBERTSON'S. They feel like family. really. We had the Kreihbls for dinner that night and then went to mutual. I got to see avarice and jeff! Avarice has a BAPTISMAL DATE now!!!! yeah! I am so happy for him!!!

[Thursday] I packed up and headed to culvers for my last lunch there with elders oldham and crane. Julieanne, Amy, Jess and Dan came too. It's tradition. It used to just be us and JRIB... but since she is gone it took quite a few people to replace her! That was great but I couldn't really eat. I just had a knot in my stomach. then it was off to transfer point. I had a TON of stuff. 3 suitcases a tub and a few loose things. I didn't quite remember all the stuff my mom sent me once i got here. oh well. i need it all at least til i get thru next winter!!! :) luckily only one other kid was traveling with us on the "wausau shuttle" and his luggage got LEFT in MILWAUKEE. poor guy. BUT all my stuff took up all the room anyways, so i was ok with it! ha. he got his luggage the next day. no worries. I arrived in adams that afternoon. It reminds me a ton of Thatcher, just more, I don't know, SECLUDED from the real world? Stuck in time? or how 'bout D all of the above.

There is a ward here. and a building. a county market. a k mart. a library and a post office. that's about it. we live upstairs in the fosters house. three beds in a tiny room = SO MUCH FUN. also no sleep. we talk too much. Sister Bishop (out one transfer before me) attends Utah State... is from Brigham City Utah. Sister Roth (out only 6 weeks) is from Washington and attends BYU. We are all great friends already, it's wierd, I love it.

[Friday] I turned 22 and had a great BDAY! We volunteered at the nursing home and the humane society, saw Vivian [age 91] then an investigator Jim then came home and had a bday party! fun fun.

[Saturday] we were WAY busy teaching ALL our investigators. I decided to give up sugar to help Debbie as she gives up alcohol so she can be baptized. I am excited to stay strong right along with her... it's already been hard!!! It was an AmAzing day of teaching!!! The sisters here kept complimenting me on how powerful my teaching is. Honestly I can attribute that to serving around AmAzing ELDERS for 6 months that had been on their missions 3X as long as me and just being a sponge and picking up on how they use the scriptures and ask questions and be direct and bold.... it's so great to have had that training. I will miss it.

[Sunday] we went to church and a lot of meetings. I spoke. The bishop told me they have a goal of 21 baptisms this year. We have a lot of work to do. I am way excited. I have heard a lot, "the work is just different here". I don't believe that's true. Missionary Work can be just as fast paced here as it was in green bay. I am determined to make it that way!!!! These sisters are so great and ready to try anything. I am liking this fresh perspective. new investigators. new struggles! new directions to grow in. I can't wait!!

Amy told me right before I left, "sister black you have affected change in green bay, you can go now because you've made a difference". or something to that affect. I love her! I will forever miss families like the HUzzey's, Robertson's, Kreihbls, Ribbens, Bartells, Biolos, Whitings, Millers... My friends... Amy, Julieanne, JriB, Jess, Rachel, Bri Everette ... Those I taught ... Huntleys, Barbara, Corry, Vanessa, Jeff, Avarice! ....

So many good memories. I LOVE MY MISSION!!!!!!!!

I can't wait for Adams to become home! I will continue to "Lose myself in the Work". That was my new years resolution!!!

Thanks for all your love and support!!!! I love you all!!!!

Love, sister Pamella Jo Black

New mailing address:

117 N Grant St
Adams, WI 53910

No comments: