Monday, August 24, 2009

The TRIO NATION... [as s.warner calls us]

… is no MORE!

President Barrett emailed both Sister Warner and I … I was a bit mad about it… this was the email exchange between him and I:

ME to P.Barrett last week:

Hi President!

No, the Menters do not set a high priority for church... Sammy has
been out of town all week with her dad- going to church is out of
the question when she is with him. We're not even allowed to teach
when he is in the home. [Her date is going to have to be moved]
Sister Behrends taught the Menters (kim and zac) when she was on
splits with sister ducharme and said zac expressed that he would be
at church on Sunday. However, yesterday he opted to go to a friends
house instead.

We will make it a point this week to teach what a high priority
church must be. That is essential in conversion. I am not sure what
needs to change, Zac and Sammy have both only been taught once since I've been here. It feels like they think church is a good thing, but
not a high priority like you said. Perhaps their dad plays a big
part in this too, they don't want to deal with his comments and
cynicism.

We went to Racine on Saturday, it was the first time since
transfers. Tina also needs to set a high priority for church, she
didn't come again. Sister Behrends saw her after church, Jeremiah
was there again. She keeps letting him back in to her life. We have
a full day of teaching set up on Wednesday, we may go on splits if
we get anymore appointments.We will see Tina, Janelle and Aaron that
day. We planned which days we will be in Racine and which we will be
here in Milwaukee, just like last transfer... so we can be sure we
are teaching our investigators at least twice a week, if not three.
We are teaching Stefani Aquino's friend from the spanish branch
wednesday, our first appointment [we plan to set a date!]. In the
branch we mostly just do the assignments President Calderwood gives
us. We don't have a lot going on there right now... there is SO much
potential though.

This is his response to me TODAY:

Priority with menters will actually need to start with Kim. A week ago when she was alone she almost didn’t come. No good reason.

As of this week you will be in Racine-Kenosha full time.

Sent from my iPhone

He emailed sister warner saying “surprise” you’re getting a visa- waiting sister… but we didn’t know much beyond that!

… Perhaps you can see why I was a little perturbed. My feathers were ruffled! I thought the little roller coaster I was on in this mission stopped! I thought the ride was over. Apparently not. Apparently I am a roller-coaster kinda girl! And to tell you the truth I wouldn’t have it any other way. So I am keeping my seat-belt buckled and all hands and objects inside the vehicle!

Then while we were still here in the library President Barrett called us…

he basically said this: i am going to racine full time on wednesday... :( no more sister warner. a sister who is coming from the mtc, waiting for her visa to madagascar will be serving here for a while. we will pick her up at the airport with him on wednesday! Her and warner will serve her together... behrends and i will go to racine.

[good thing he called... the email just wasn't doin' it for me]

i am excited and sad... all at the same time.

I do feel gypped of my Milwaukee experience. I have only been half-in here! I have loved living so close to the mission home and to the mission office and to the mission leaders. This mission has the most faithful missionaries and leadership I have ever been associated with. I am so blessed to serve in the Wisconsin Milwaukee Mission. The Lord really does have bigger and better plans for us than we ever could have imagined for ourselves.

I know you all are waiting for the weekly update. . . but I just don’t have time. I want to go play and release some of this pent-up energy. Haha Plus, this is the second time I have written this email. I lOATHE myldsmail. It erased my first email. Just a word to the wise to up and coming missionaries… always write your email FIRST on Microsoft word. Gotta love copy and paste. I promise to give the scoop for this week and last week next week! Scouts honor.

This week I have really loved reading in Alma about Ammon… he’s the man.

I love the story about him chopping off the men’s arms [ugh] and protecting the Kings sheep:

Alma 17:31 “My brethren, be of good cheer and let us go in search of the flocks, and we will gather them together and bring them back unto the place of water; and thus we will preserve the flocks unto the king…”

That is what I have been called to do! I love my calling! I will return the sheep to the king! BE OF GOOD CHEER!

Later on in Alma, Ammon says,

Alma 26:20-22

“20 Oh, my soul, almost as it were, fleeth at the thought. Behold, he did not exercise his justice upon us, but in his great mercy hath brought us over that everlasting gulf of death and misery, even to the salvation of our souls.
21 And now behold, my brethren, what natural man is there that knoweth these things? I say unto you, there is none that knoweth these things, save it be the penitent.
22 Yea, he that repenteth and exerciseth faith, and bringeth forth good works, and prayeth continually without ceasing—unto such it is given to know the mysteries of God; yea, unto such it shall be given to reveal things which never have been revealed; yea, and it shall be given unto such to bring thousands of souls to repentance, even as it has been given unto us to bring these our brethren to repentance.”

This is our transfer scripture. We memorize one scripture every six weeks. I love this set of scriptures! My calling is to bring souls to repentance, to help people over the gulf through teaching them about the Savior’s atonement. If we exercize FAITH and GOOD WORKS and PRAY without ceasing… we will KNOW the MYSTERIES OF GOD! Just like it says in verse 22! How amazing. AmAzing! I want that. I know you want that.

I love you all. I pray for each of you! Be safe!

Love, sister pamella jo black

PS…

Good luck to Brittany AND Rocky on their first day of school today at EA! How Exciting! I love you both!

No comments: