Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Nursing Home

Last semester Michelle and I made it a habit to go visit the nursing home every sunday. We started going because Michelle needed service hours for a class, but after going once we knew we couldn't stop. We have fallen in love with these people. This past Sunday Michelle and Zane couldn't go, so I invited Brodie and his roommate Daniel. We had so much fun. Here are some pictures of my favorite people!
This is Genevieve. She is so sweet. She is confined to a wheel chair, but still remembers us each week, which is a nice change! She has a coke a day, she keeps little mini cokes in a tiny fridge in her room. Everything in her room is just so-so. She always makes me laugh and always asks me to come visit again. She is usually watching something cool on TV too. She watches the discovery channel or any sport she can find.























Brodie is pushing Lois here on her walker. Lois is a crack-up. Notice her crown! I never stop laughing when I am around her. She has the greatest sense of humor and is all together just a feisty lady. She never remembers us week to week, but it doesn't really even matter. These other two pics are from last week when I went with Michelle, Zane and Brittani. Lois makes fun of other patients, jokes with the nurses and LOVES when we visit. She wears a crown that she won for being beauty queen after competing with several other nursing homes in the Utah Valley. She takes this very seriously, she'll always be seen wearing her crown unless her headaches are too bad. In that case her crown is "resting". She is My FaVoRiTe!! You can always find Lois talking to someone, usually sitting in front of the nurses station.


This is John. John worked for the CIA and FBI. He is brilliant. He can often be seen taking strolls around the home or sitting in his room watching the antique road show on a TV that looks fit to be entered in to the show. John will talk your ear off and tell you stories of meeting presidents and other dignitaries. He will show you his super cool FBI and CIA jackets with his name sewn on the insides. He is always so excited to see us. Brodie taught him how to really wear a hat! haha He's a fun guy.













I am going to miss these people the most when I go home. I look forward to Sundays when I get to go visit. They make my day!

2 comments:

Harshes said...

Wow, that is absolutely incredible and was a delight to read! I should do that w/my children!

Oh, I told your mom I would tell you to give her my blog... www.healthyharshes.blogspot.com and I haven't seen you visit in a bit..wink wink!

Steph Weaver said...

I remember visiting this nursing home with Liz back in the day when she went to BYU. She had this lady who would take her dentures out and make funny noises so we would laugh!